Best annual report
Please note that for all awards categories, companies need to emphasise how they have successfully addressed the following IR principles:
- Having an equity story and investment case that are clearly communicated across all stakeholders and deliver long-term value creation
- Helping investors, analysts and others to understand the growth and value drivers of a company, such that there is a fair and orderly market in its shares
- Meeting or exceeding all regulatory requirements around disclosure and focusing on greater transparency of information both internally and externally
Once a year, the Annual Report provides an invaluable opportunity to tell your company’s unique investment story and engage with your investors and other stakeholders.
Best practice annual reports clearly articulate how the business differentiates itself and provides a ‘shop window’ into the company and its culture. Best-in-class annual reports tell a holistic story that clearly demonstrates the effectiveness of both the business model and strategy, whilst evidencing the strength of the leadership team, governance of the business and broader social purpose. The report should also illustrate the business’ ability to contribute, or enable others to contribute, to sustainable development. Done well, the annual report can shape your reputation and build confidence with investors.
Overall, judges are looking for evidence of an innovative and effective annual report that plays an integral part in the communication of the strategy and investment proposition of
a company. It should provide a sense of the purpose, culture and identity of your organisation. Judges will also be looking for evidence of clear and concise communications, consideration of key stakeholders’ needs and how these are met through both your report and the digital expression of it.
Some best practice considerations for the annual report could include, but are not limited to:
- A forward-looking, engaging, concise and entity-specific report
- Connectivity of information providing a holistic view of the business
- Clear links between strategy, KPIs, risk and remuneration
- An investment proposition that explains the growth drivers that promote long-term value
- The report should be fair, balanced and understandable
- The report should also highlight a clear road map for transitioning to a sustainable future and any risks associated with delays in doing so
- The governance report should illustrate how governance was applied during the year to relevant decisions and topics discussed in the strategic report